Unfortunately it may happen sometimes, you are envolved in an accident and your vehicle is considered completely destroyed ("total loss”) or your vehicle may be stolen. In all of these cases you must complete certain steps to clear your vehicle from Belgian Customs and the SHAPE vehicle registration system.
If you do not clear your vehicle, you will be responsible for all fines, taxes and tickets which may follow. This includes, having to pay vehicle taxes on a replacement vehicle.
Please select the following tab that refers to your scenario.
DESTROYED VEHICLE ("Total Loss")
You have just completely destroyed your vehicle, it is considered a "total loss". Now what?
1. You must proceed to the Belgian Customs office, bldg 210, rm 111A, to clear your vehicle from their records. Bring the following documents with you:
- SHAPE ID card.
- Vehicle registration documents.
- Insurance documents showing vehicle as "Total Loss" (the Customs office only accepts a technical "Total Loss").
- A bill of sale beween you and a junk yard which shows that the car is no more usable as vehicle.
- Police report (if applicable).
2. Complete a Request for VAT Customs Clearance form. This form can be found in the Belgian Customs office, bldg 210, rm 111A or in the Family Support and Central Processing Branch - Registration Section rm 109-110.
3. Customs will provide you with a vehicle clearance certificate.
4. Proceed down the corridor to the Family Support and Central Processing Branch - Registration Section (FSCEP-RGN), rm 109-110, with all documents to de-register your car.
- customs clearance certificate.
- Rear licence plate.
- Registration documents.
- Access sticker.